Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Email Feedback

I haven't posted in a while, but this email made me feel like doing it:

"u r a disgrace to the teaching
profession....displaying such a negative attitude.when
there r people dying to teach n cant! go kill urself"

Times like this........... I really wonder at some people............ here he is commenting on my negative attitude and at the same time telling me to kill myself.... [??] That's not a very positive attitude on his part now is it?

Of course, it does make me think a bit.

1. Is this guy a teacher in Singapore as well? And does he have a 100%, 24/7 positively sunny attitude towards his job everyday?

2. Is it wrong to display negative feelings? If so, then is it better that we should all never talk or do anything about our problems, and just carry a forced smile to work each day?

3. Is keeping this blog such a disgrace to the teaching profession? If so, I think you can shut down most of the teacher blogs out there.

I'm not keeping this blog to purposely throw a bad light on teaching. Neither am I out to discourage people from teaching. There are people who have emailed me about teaching in Singapore and I've tried to give them as objective a view as possible, concerning job scope, prospects and others.

But what I think this blog is about, is to give people a view of the teaching profession, from my eyes. Granted I'm not utterly happy all the time at my job, but who is anyway?

The truth is there are many people out there who are just as dissatisfied with their teaching jobs, and I'm just one of those who actually blog about it, rather than just keep silent about it.

And for all those who are dying to teach and can't? At least they don't carry any illusions in their head about what the job really entails.

Some people make me feel just.... *Phwargh!*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"dying to teach and can't"

Reminds me of the news I read today in the ST about more teaching awards being given out and how more top students want to be teachers.

My first thought: Do they know what they are getting into?

But I don't believe there is anything wrong with blogging or even grumbling about the teaching profession (as long as it is done responsibly). It's not an easy one and the above can be quite cathartic. Plus, just be cause you complain or criticise the teaching profession doesn't make you a bad teacher.

Anonymous said...

Some people who simply are too free, or shd i say plain ignorant of what's going on in the teaching profession.


I absolutely share ur views, n perfectly understand what the &^*@ you possibly went thru. The 6mths contract teaching for me in a secondary sch was enough for me to know how much it takes to be a teacher. And of course, i salute to those that are in this line, still. Be it willingly or unhappily.

And afterall, who's 100% happily in their job? Who doesnt rant abt their bosses/colleagues/jobscope?