Thursday, August 31, 2006

Happy Teacher's Day

It seems highly ironic to me that the day that is supposed to be for the teachers, ended up being more tiring for me, the teacher, than any other normal school day.

2 of the troublemakers decided to get into repeated fights with each other, just a few pathetic minutes before I was supposed to get them all gathered up to go to the hall for the Teacher's Day concert. In the ruckus, they push over a much smaller girl, who starts crying on the spot.

Honestly, it's days like these that make me wonder why I joined this line.

We finally arrived late for the concert. I had the two boys stand outside the hall giving them one solid scolding while the rest of the students were settled in the hall waiting for the performance to start. Once I had finally cooled down enough, I dragged one of the major troublemakers to me for a calmer talking-to.

I told him something like there was no point in fighting, because even if the other kid started it first, he was equally in the wrong for continuing the fight. [and for hitting back more savagely, may I add] And in the end, only innocent bystanders like the smaller girl would get hurt in the end, and would he only be satisfied after he had killed all his classmates, or pushed his other friends down the stairs or something?

I told him to please think in the future if someone hit him. If it was accidental, then ignore it. If it was on purpose, then tell a teacher, instead of hitting back. At the end of it, I asked him to repeat what I said.

His reply: "If someone hits me, hit him back a million times." *grin*.

Teachers are the imparters of values, the principal read out from the Teacher's Day letter to schools. But what if the students are not willing to accept those values?

*Haiz* Anyway, for a lighter note, please scroll down to read the entry on Things Teachers Wish They Could Tell Their Students.

Happy Teacher's Day, all.

3 comments:

Roslee said...

hi misee,
happen to stumble upon your blog while doing action research (can you believe it...neither could i. had to leave something..)

anyway, take it easy. stuff like this happens a lot. the trick is try (i emphasize the word TRY) not to let these things get to you. get a hobby. that helps.

i love teaching. i know you do. we make a difference everyday. so stay cool. stay sharp. and i get enough sleep ;)

singaporeteach said...

I know what you mean. This year's teacher's day, I chose to give supplementary lesson just to make teacher's day more meaningful than the usual celebration. The best teacher's day is to let teachers teach in peace. :P

Average Joe said...

I stumbled upon your blog after stumbling on trisha's blog from net-surfing. It is great to read another local teacher's challenges in this teaching line.

At times, I wonder if we really are imparting any values to the kids. Most of the kids I teach (in a secondary school) seem to already have their own set of values; be it good or bad.

It is pretty much like the kid you tried to counsel. I think he will only get your point after he gets punched in the face a million times, as what he suggested himself...