Wednesday, February 15, 2006

All My Bags are Packed...

I'm aready to go.

Well, the bags aren't exactly packed, considering that most of the important stuff from my hostel room has already been taken out and put back home, ie the things I would most likely need for practicuum, so really all that's left in the room are excess stuff [that will only add to the existing useless clutter pile in my bedroom] that I don't need anyway.

And of course a whole host of memories.

It's strange that I could be even a little attached to this room after just barely 8 months of staying here, but after all it's kinda my home away from home now. The place where I can quietly sit, read, go on the Internet, do everything except work, without complaints from parents who think you should be spending your time productively all the time.

The more I live here, the more I think I'm getting a freaky sense of independence, that hey, I can actually live on my own, and not whine for mummy to do something for me. I can do it.

But of course, the hostel room has become more than that for me. It was the place of much afternoon naps, when I would doze off after a particularly boring tutorial, the only sounds being the whirring of the overhead fan and the low sounds of my roommate playing Maplestory. It's the room where we watched TV together and made snide comments at whoever was on TV.

It's the hall where we climbed the stairs, heaving and puffing, to finally reach our room, and stand there breathing heavily till we both caught our breath again. It's the room where we trained our leg muscles to stairclimbing perfection.

It's the hall where we had to walk down the corridor to the bathroom, and key in a 3 number code just to take a pee. It's the hall which served better food than any stall in NIE, or even NTU for that matter.

It's the hall where I would take my laundry down all those flights of stairs, and lounge in the lounge reading while waiting for my laundry to finish. It's where I excused myself from work, saying that I had to do the laundry.

Can you even call these memories? I think what I'll bring with me is the general feeling and impression of the place. The feeling of calm, of rest, and my beckoning bed. The feeling of coming home to rest thy weary bones at last. And all a convenient few minutes away from our classrooms.

And now that practicuum is starting, we won't be here till around May, and even then, we have at most one or two months before we completely vacate the room and return to our original addresses.

I'll miss the place.

No comments: